Saturday, June 19, 2010

Most reliable, older BMW?

I'm looking for my first car, hopefully an older BMW (Around $7000 or lower). I'd like to know which models are, generally agreed upon, to be most reliable. Also, what is the usual cost of maintenance per year for Bimmers? I'll probably be doing the basic tune-ups and brakes myself.



Most reliable, older BMW?norton 360



Inspection I and Inspection II. The computer tells you when/what to tune up. Goggle BMW inspection I and Inspection II get the complete list. Dealer charges about $400 - $800.



The most reliable BMWS are considered as ones made in 1980s, using M20 or M30 engines. (E30 3 series, E28 5 series, E34 5 series).



Modern BMW engines cars (M50 - M70 engines) are also reliable, but use too many plastic parts - that gets brittle over time and cause problems. The weak point in these cars is radiator. The Bahr radiator is made out of plastic and it gets brittle and cracks.



Most reliable, older BMW?photoshop



I have a 1989 535i with 188k on the odometer and it is quite a good car. The 3.5 liter engine is built for longevity by having a high nickel alloy engine block and a forged steel crankshaft. The engine is said to be good for 300k and I think they are right.



Check the maintenance records for frequent oil changes and any other major repairs, like the auto transmission, or wrecks.
My family has always had BMWs. We had 2 Audis at one point and will never go back. Currently we have a 2007 X5, a 2007 328i, a 2004 325i, a 2004 530i, and a Porsche. BMWs have occasional problems, but they are mostly with the first model year of a vehical. For $8000 or less you could probably find a mid-90s 3 series or or 5 series. The 3 series is the most reliable. Good luck.
I've had a '98, 318i for 4 years now, I've put 70k miles on it. The car has been great, with occasional problems with the A/C, and just replaced the exhaust. I would say that over all the cost I have incurred is about $1500 a year. But overall a great car, I hope it runs forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment