Thursday, October 1, 2009

Car question involving a BMW Fan Shroud and an AC Compressor clutch?

For you car experts, I am wondering if anybody can explain this to me. I got my car checked out, and among its "numerous oil leaks" (how bad is that on a 1-10 scale? no oil makes it to the ground) my cars (2001 BMW 330i) Fan Shroud has come loose at the bottom and the AC Compressor Clutch has been "wearing a hole in shroud". I googled both parts, looked at the car physically, and I don't see how that part can ware a hole in the shroud. Is this a huge problem? Would the mechanic have told me if this was a huge problem after diagnosing it?



Car question involving a BMW Fan Shroud and an AC Compressor clutch?adware



If the fan shroud is not secured and its proximity to the compressor is within several inches, then yes it is possible for the shroud to move around and possibly chafe at the pulley. If you can, grab the shroud at the bottom and see how much movement there is.



Car question involving a BMW Fan Shroud and an AC Compressor clutch?antivirus scan



I am sure they didn't lie to you about the oil leak. It doesn't make it to the ground in your driveway but I am sure it does when you drive it. Ask them to show you the leaks, so for me to give you a 1-10 without seeing it is impossible. I have never heard of an ac clutch hitting a fan shroud. If indeed that is true, your fan shroud is not secure or your motor mounts are wasted. I would take it to a national chain that does free inspections and see what they come up with, ask for an ase master certified technician to inspect it, shop cost will be free for the inspection and just kick the tech 20 for his time, then you will know for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment