Wednesday, September 16, 2009

If I purchase a BMW in Germany, how do I avoid paying state sales tax when I move back to the states

We are stationed in Germany, bought a 335i BMW, we will be shipping the car back in about a year when we move back stateside. How do I know if we will need to pay state/federal taxes on the car?



If I purchase a BMW in Germany, how do I avoid paying state sales tax when I move back to the states?virus scanner



I assume you mean import duty? Looks like you'll have to pay duty at just 2.5% of price you paid for the vehicle. See http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/cleari... and click the link under "Publications," "Importing/Exporting a Car."



State tax is usually applied at time of sale, and since you didn't buy it in a US state, that should not be an issue. Of course you have to pay registration fees--just like any other car owner in the US--and if the city or locality you move to asesses a personal property/vehicle tax, but again, that's nothing to do with it coming from Germany, everyone has to pay if the locality they garage the car in has a car tax.



A modern BMW should have no problems with emissions, bumper, and other safety standards. Older cars from the 70s might have to pay a lot to get these issues sorted, but Germany has the strictest vehicle emissions standards in the world, and the US's are second-strictest.



If I purchase a BMW in Germany, how do I avoid paying state sales tax when I move back to the states?anti virus software

No comments:

Post a Comment