Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Lifting the carpet in BMW 3 series boot to get to CD changer?

Hi



I'm looking at replacing my factory fitted 6 CD changer in my 2001 BMW 330CIC, with an MP3 changer - there's a fair few around on the web, will probably go for the Alpine one.



I'm told by various suppliers fitting is easy.



But I can't see any screws near the existing changer... one supplier told me I needed to lift the carpet in the boot to get to the changer.



Just had a look and I can see several grey plastic caps on the carpet near the changer, which I assume are covering screws. How do I get these off? Just tried slipping a key underneath one to prise it off but didn't look like it would budge and don't want to force them off/damage anything...



Has anyone any experience of this/getting up the carpet in a 3 series boot?



Many thanks



Ross



Lifting the carpet in BMW 3 series boot to get to CD changer?norton internet security



The floor carpet does not have any fasteners holding it.



But the left side trim of the trunk compartment (which looks and feels like a carpet on a backing does have clips/clamps



holding it to the floor (three). They are the expanding rivet type



which can be removed by prying off the center cover, then removing the remaining part. You can do it with a flat screwdriver or the special trim remover that looks like a flat fork or claws of a hammer.



There are additional rivets (2) on the side of the trim which are removed the same way. One locking button is twisted off like a screw and pulled off.



After removal of the rivets, pull out the trim to the right. Sometimes, you have to remove the rear lower plastic cover



beneath the trunklid (in between the 2 rear lights) to be able to remove the side trim (or at least detach it). It is fastened to the body by the same type of expanding rivets.

No comments:

Post a Comment